Thursday, March 29, 2007

Graduation Day

A couple of weeks ago I attended the graduation ceremony at one of the Junior High Schools I teach at. It was the first time I had attended a Japanese graduation and it was quite an experience.

Unlike Australia, where most students attend the same school for junior and senior, graduating Junior High in Japan, is a true rite of passage. Students who have been together for Elementary and Junior High now separate and attend a myriad of High Schools in the area.

Like most official events, the ceremony was very formal, the school song was sung, the certificates were presented and the dignitaries gave their speeches. On the other hand, it was a very moving experience full of emotion and pride on the part of the students, parents and teachers.

Given that it was the last time I would see many of the students, I was very glad that I could share the day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home